Sunday, January 3, 2010

My goal to prepare 3 new recipes a week ~

I absolutely love to cook (and eat, too!) and I've always had a passion for cookbooks!!  I especially like the ones with delectable photos on the covers and appetizing pictures inside along with the recipes!!  So over the years, I've collected a pretty good library of cookbooks, either that I've purchased myself or received as a gift. 

This year, my goal is to prepare at least 3 new recipes each week from my various cookbooks and I want to share them with you!  I'm pretty sure most of you know of these first three and probably cook them all the time, but they were new to our family and went over very well!!

The old 'Green Bean Casserole' is a favorite of my family BUT they've grown kind of tired of it.  So I came upon a recipe for a modified version that I had tasted years ago at a family reunion and loved:

~ ~ ~ ~
Shoepeg & Green Bean Casserole
2 (7oz) cans shoepeg corn, drained
14 1/2 oz can green beans, drained
10 3/4 oz can cream of celery soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 cup crushed Ritz Crackers (about 18 crackers)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

Stir together corn, beans, soup, sour cream and cheese; spread in a greased 2-quart baking dish.  Top with cracker crumbs; drizzle with melted butter.  Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for one hour or until golden.  Serves 6 to 8.
~ ~ ~ ~

And I'm really sure I'm the only person who had never made a Pineapple Cheese Ball !!  I absolutely love them and could eat the whole thing myself.  One of the ladies of the church prepares one for most all meals at the church and I always head straight for it!!  Now I'll be making my own!

~ ~ ~ ~
Pineapple Cheese Ball
Serve with an assortment of crackers and bread sticks and watch it disappear!
2 8-oz pkgs cream cheese, softened
2 T green pepper, chopped
2 T onion, finely chopped
2 t seasoned salt
1/4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
2 T sugar
2 cups chopped pecans, divided (I substituted with chopped Walnuts and it was awesome!)

Mix first 6 ingredients with one cup pecans (walnuts!); shape into a ball.  Cover and chill one hour.  Roll in remaining one cup pecans (walnuts!); cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.  Makes about 2 1/2 cups.  Delicious!
~ ~ ~ ~

And the last new recipe I prepared last week is a 'wanna-be' Whoopie Pie that my mother-in-law has been making for years!!  My husband and brother-in-law love them and put their requests into Edith anytime we'll be seeing her!  Of course, hers are delicious but I've never watched her make them.  So I came across this recipe that is very similar - not that I'm trying to take over the Whoopie Pie making - the guys will always love Mom's WPs but hey, I can come a little close!

~ ~ ~ ~
Devil's Food Sandwich Cookies
18 1/4 oz pkg Devil's Food Cake Mix
3/4 cup shortening
2 eggs
8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/2 t almond extract
16 oz pkg powdered sugar

Combine cake mix, shortening and eggs.  Form into small balls and flatten slightly on ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, margarine and almond extract.  Gradually blend in powdered sugar until desired consistency.  Beat with a spoon 'til smooth; refrigerate.  When cookies are cool, spread filling between 2 cookies; repeat.  Keep refrigerated.  Makes 2 dozen.
~ ~ ~ ~

This week, I'll take pictures to post along with the new dishes!!

Well, tomorrow's the first work day of the new year!  Thank you God for our jobs and please always bless the work of our hands!

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin